Careers at City CV
Proofreader / Copy Editor
Accountable to: CEO, Victoria McLean
Location: Matfield, Kent
Commitment/Hours: Permanent, Monday to Friday, 9-3 (flexibility to work from home one or more days per week)
We are currently looking to recruit a Proofreader / Copy Editor to join our Matfield team. This is a permanent role and is integral to supporting the CEO and all operational functions of the business.
About City CV:
City CV was founded in 2008 responding to the need for an expert organisation to support individuals in understanding corporate hiring practices and navigating the complex recruitment market. City CV has continued to flourish with a dedicated focus on helping clients to secure their target roles. Initially established as a niche financial services CV writing business, it has extended its range, team and specialities to cover the full breadth of the corporate world and the public sector. It has built an unrivalled reputation for getting results.
A distinctive mix of Executive Head Hunters, HR Professionals, Interview Coaches, Copy Writers and Recruiters, the City CV team collaborates closely with clients on every aspect of the application process, whether for individuals or groups, as part of its well-established career coaching and outplacement programmes. From CV writing to interview coaching to graduate application form assistance, we offer all our clients a professional, unique and tailored approach to their job search.
At City CV, we work hard to gain our clients that vital edge in a highly competitive job market. Our single-minded aim is to provide our clients with a powerful toolkit to realise their career ambitions and achieve their job goals. It’s our unique combination of exceptional writing abilities, multiple award nominations, intuitive coaching and a robust strategy, backed up by unparalleled quality standards that set us apart.
With a wider team of 25, City CV head office team of seven is based in a newly refurbished office in Matfield. Plenty of parking and amenities close by, it offers a busy, buzzy environment. A little crazy at times with high volumes, it’s also relaxed and fun with lots of flexibility.
About the role:
The purpose of the role of Proofreader / Copy Editor is:
- To provide high quality proof reading and copy-editing of all draft client documents (CVs, biographies, covering letters, LinkedIn profiles and job applications), internal and external marketing material, and the website.
- To ensure that all documents generated by City CV are accurate, fit for purpose, easy to follow, free of omission, inconsistency and repetition, and conform to the best standards of written English.
- To ensure timely turnaround of documents to specified deadlines.
- Oversee and manage the entire proofing process lifecycle from writer submission to client.
- Correct any grammatical, punctuation and spelling errors; mark up using tracked changes.
- Ensure all writing conforms to the City CV House style, is clear and easy to read.
- Check for legal issues (libel, breach of copyright)
- Double check that names, places and organisations are spelled correctly, and that facts, dates and statistics are accurate and consistent across all associated documents.
- Query writers’ sources (client notes) and conduct online research where there appears to be inconsistency.
- Correct page layouts / formatting, including pagination, margins, placement of sections / dates / headlines / photos / headers and footers.
- To maintain up to date status records on our project management system at each stage of the proofing process.
- Member of Society for Editors and Proofreaders (SfEP)
- Educated to degree standard
- Outstanding level of written English
- Sound understanding of rules of English grammar
- Extremely conscientious with proven success in a corporate environment
- Outstanding levels of concentration, accuracy and attention to detail
- Excellent organisational skills with the ability to multi-task and prioritise
- A team player with the ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines
- Open to direction and a commitment to get the job done
- Tact, diplomacy and discretion when working with writers and Head Office
- Advanced Word for document formatting
Please send your CV to [email protected] or call Tara on 0207 100 6656 for more details.
Careers at City CV
Are you a qualified CV Writer? Do you have CV writing expertise / experience? Are you an experienced copywriter? Would you like to be trained to be the best in the market?
City CV, the UK’s only international-award-winning CV writing firm has a high-end client base seeking a top quality service. We have immediate vacancies for client-facing CV Writers to join our CV writing team on a flexible and freelance basis. From 15-35 hours per week.
Working closely within City CV’s guidelines and framework, you will interview clients via Skype to draw out their strengths, achievements and goals. You will then use your creative flair to produce value-based CVs, LinkedIn profiles and cover letters with impact to help our clients secure the best jobs.
Your drive for perfection and a passion for helping individuals achieve their dreams is paramount. Attention to detail plus linguistic and grammatical excellence are essential along with the ability to meet exceptionally high standards.
You will preferably be degree educated with a background in writing / copy writing. Highly conscientious and professional; you will have proven exposure to top level client service.
- Excellent writing skills – accuracy, attention to detail and grammatical excellence
- Desire to be trained to become an industry-leading CV writer – striving to continuously evolve and improve
- Long term commitment to a career with City CV with a minimum of 15 hours per week
- Educated to Bachelors, Masters or MBA level
- Commercial experience – any industry sector, including public, private or 3rd sector
- Articulate with clear communication skills
- Confident client service skills
- You must ‘like’ people, have empathy and want to do all you can to help each client achieve their dreams
In return you will receive support and training from a lovely, professional, friendly team and work for one of the most respected CV writing companies in the UK – the only UK company to have won multiple awards at the TORIs – the international ‘Oscars’ of the CV writing industry. Working from home, hours are flexible and the rate of pay is excellent. Up to £30K+ per annum.
Applicants will be considered from across the UK or from around the globe.
Of particular interest is industry experience or an understanding of banking, finance, technology, consulting or sales. Other sector experience will also be considered.
In the first instance please email a copy of your CV and two samples of your work to [email protected].